Projects per year
The Health Systems Unit currently focuses on the following research lines:
Strategic management of local health systems
- Research on innovative stewardship and governance arrangements to ensure public accountability. Projects include Participation for local action, with Sheshadri and Prashanth NS (Vivekananda Tribal Health Centre, BR Hills, Karnataka, India)
- Leadership and decision-making (including complex and distributed leadership), with PhD research in Morocco, Benin and South Africa
- Public service motivation in low- and middle-income countries (PhD research in Morocco)
Evaluation and research methodologies for complex health (system) problems
- Complexity and the challenges for research, policymaking and management
- Methodological development of theory driven inquiry in health policy and systems research, with a specific focus on realist evaluation. Projects include a partnership with the International Federation of the Red Cross (Geneva).
Innovative platforms for care for life-long conditions
- The focus is on strategies to enhance a shift from biomedical and patient-centred care models to person-centred care approaches that contribute to patient autonomy and self support. Projects include the EU Horizon 2020 project Smart2D in Uganda, South Africa and Sweden.
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
A qualitative study to investigate the use of complex perspectives in policy evaluation in public health
27/04/21 → …
Advancing the implementation of quality improvement strategies to reduce maternal mortality using realist evaluation: the case of Maternal Death Reviews in Benin
1/01/21 → 30/06/22
Applying the realist evaluation approach to the complex process of policy implementation: the case of the user fee exemption policy for cesarean section in BeninDossou, J-P., Van Belle, S. & Marchal, B., 2021, In : Frontiers in Public Health. 9, 15 p., 553980.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleOpen AccessFile
Bottom-up innovation for health management capacity development: a qualitative case study in a South African health districtOrgill, M., Marchal, B., Shung-King, M., Sikuza, L. & Gilson, L., 2021, In : BMC Public Health. 21, 1, 19 p., 587.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Decoding the black box of health policy implementation: a case of regulating private healthcare establishments in southern IndiaPutturaj, M., Bhojani, U., Rao, N. V. & Marchal, B., 2021, In : National Medical Journal of India. 34, 2, p. 100-106 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-article