Projects per year
The Health Systems Unit currently focuses on the following research lines:
Strategic management of local health systems
- Research on innovative stewardship and governance arrangements to ensure public accountability. Projects include Participation for local action, with Sheshadri and Prashanth NS (Vivekananda Tribal Health Centre, BR Hills, Karnataka, India)
- Leadership and decision-making (including complex and distributed leadership), with PhD research in Morocco, Benin and South Africa
- Public service motivation in low- and middle-income countries (PhD research in Morocco)
Evaluation and research methodologies for complex health (system) problems
- Complexity and the challenges for research, policymaking and management
- Methodological development of theory driven inquiry in health policy and systems research, with a specific focus on realist evaluation. Projects include a partnership with the International Federation of the Red Cross (Geneva).
Innovative platforms for care for life-long conditions
- The focus is on strategies to enhance a shift from biomedical and patient-centred care models to person-centred care approaches that contribute to patient autonomy and self support. Projects include the EU Horizon 2020 project Smart2D in Uganda, South Africa and Sweden.
Advancing the implementation of quality improvement strategies to reduce maternal mortality using realist evaluation: the case of Maternal Death Reviews in Benin
1/01/21 → 30/06/22
Le renforcement des capacités des équipes cadres des districts sanitaires à l’ère de la réforme de l’administration sanitaire provinciale en République Démocratique du Congo : une évaluation réaliste
1/01/21 → 30/06/22
Scale-Up an integrated care package for diaBetes and hYpertension for vulnerable people in Cambodia, Slovenia and Belgium
3/07/19 → …
Bottom-up innovation for health management capacity development: a qualitative case study in a South African health districtOrgill, M., Marchal, B., Shung-King, M., Sikuza, L. & Gilson, L., 2021, In : BMC Public Health. 21, 1, 19 p., 587.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleFile
A call to action: documenting and sharing solutions and adaptations in sexual, reproductive, maternal and newborn health care provision during the COVID-19 pandemicBenova, L., Sarkar, N. D., Fasehun, L-K. O., Semaan, A. & Affun-Adegbulu, C., 2020, In : Sexual and Reproductive Health Matters. 28, 1, 5 p., 1838054.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-article
Action research and health system strengthening: the case of the health sector support programme in Mauritania, West AfricaAccoe, K., Marchal, B., Gnokane, Y., Abdellahi, D., Bossyns, P. & Criel, B., 2020, In : Health Research Policy and Systems. 18, 1, 13 p., 25.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)