Projects per year
The Health Systems Unit currently focuses on the following research lines:
Strategic management of local health systems
- Research on innovative stewardship and governance arrangements to ensure public accountability. Projects include Participation for local action, with Sheshadri and Prashanth NS (Vivekananda Tribal Health Centre, BR Hills, Karnataka, India)
- Leadership and decision-making (including complex and distributed leadership), with PhD research in Morocco, Benin and South Africa
- Public service motivation in low- and middle-income countries (PhD research in Morocco)
Evaluation and research methodologies for complex health (system) problems
- Complexity and the challenges for research, policymaking and management
- Methodological development of theory driven inquiry in health policy and systems research, with a specific focus on realist evaluation. Projects include a partnership with the International Federation of the Red Cross (Geneva).
Innovative platforms for care for life-long conditions
- The focus is on strategies to enhance a shift from biomedical and patient-centred care models to person-centred care approaches that contribute to patient autonomy and self support. Projects include the EU Horizon 2020 project Smart2D in Uganda, South Africa and Sweden.
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Virginia Castellano Pleguezuelo
Is mistreatment of women during facility-based childbirth an independent risk factor for postpartum depression? A mixed methods prospective study in Ethiopia and Guinea
Asefa, A., Marchal, B., Delamou, A., Gebremedhin, S., Benova, L. & Van Aerde, K.
Fonds voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek
1/10/22 → 30/09/25
JPPP research project: A pilot project to prepare for the Urban health systems, shocks and resilience: what can we learn from COVID-19? project
Marchal, B., Polman, K., Van Belle, S., Verdonck, T., Michielsen, J., Nieto Sanchez, C. & Everaert, R.
1/04/22 → 31/03/23
Project: Research Project
Feasibility and acceptability of integrating mobile phone SMS into antenatal, maternity, postnatal and preschool consultations to improve mothers' access to health information in the Covid-19 Context: Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial in Lubumbashi, in DR CongoMusau, A., Ntambue, A., Malonga, F., Michielsen, J. & Criel, B., 2023.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Poster › peer-review
The tale of nine Belgian health ministers and a multi-level fragmented governance system: six guiding principles to improve integrated care, responsiveness, resilience and equity; a response to the recent commentariesVan Belle, S., Michielsen, J., Cornu, T., Martens, M. & Marchal, B., 2023, In: International Journal of Health Policy and Management. 12, p. 7848 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Letter › peer-review
Access to medicine among asylum seekers, refugees and undocumented migrants across the migratory cycle: a scoping review protocolAljadeeah, S., Kielmann, K., Michielsen, J., payedimarri, A. B. & Ravinetto, R., 2022, In: BMJ Open. 12, e068917, 6 p., e068917.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile