Projects per year
The Unit of Health Policy belongs to the Public Health Department at ITM. The Unit, established in 2013, is led by Professor Wim Van Damme and consists of a multidisciplinary team (medicine, public health, political science, law).
The unit is developing a strong institutional collaboration with the School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape (Cape Town, South Africa), where Wim Van Damme held a SARChI chair focusing on comparative health systems research. The unit is starting new institutional collaborations with Cambodia’s National Institute of Public Health, Phnom Penh, and with Centre de Recherche et Formation en Santé Rurale, Maferinyah, Guinea. The unit collaborates with many other institutions in Europe, such as Institute for Development Studies (IDS), Brighton; Karolinska Institute, Stockholm; Sciences-Po, Paris; London School; Maastricht University. Within Belgium it collaborates with the Health Sociology unit at UA and with the Gerontology unit at VUB, and with other Units of Public Health at ITM (Health Financing, Health Economics, Health Systems).
At present the main fields of work of this unit are focusing on:
- SDGs & global health governance (rights-based approach), especially the Global Fund and other global health initiatives, WHO reform, global health workforce governance.
- Health policy and health systems strengthening, with particular focus on ‘fragile states’, and how to overcome the traditional divide between health systems strengthening and disease-specific approaches.
- Publishing the weekly International Health Policies Newsletter (http://www.internationalhealthpolicies.org/).
- Supporting the Emerging Voices for Global Health initiative (http://www.ev4gh.net/), created by the health policy unit, now coordinated by Institute of Public Health, Bangalore, India.
The health policy unit currently focuses on the following research lines:
- Health workforce policies (globally and in Guinea and Ethiopia)
- Global Health Initiatives and global health policies, in a rights-based perspective
- ART scale-up (Ethiopia) and diabetes treatment (as chronic lifelong conditions)
- Relation between disease control programs & health systems strengthening
- Financial access for the poor (especially Health Equity Funds in Cambodia)
- Antimicrobial resistance (AMR): global and national policies
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/01/21 → 30/06/22
Exploring and learning from evidence, policy and systems responses to COVID-19 in West and Central Africa
1/08/20 → 31/07/22
Project: Research Project
Advancing the state of patients rights’ enforcement in the public and private health care facilities in South India
1/01/20 → …
Adherence to COVID-19 prevention measures in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: results of two consecutive online surveysDitekemena, J. D., Mavoko, H. M., Obimpeh, M., Van Hees, S., Siewe Fodjo, J. N., Nkamba, D. M., Tshefu, A., Van Damme, W., Muyembe, J. J. & Colebunders, R., 2021, In : International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 18, 5, 12 p., 2525.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleOpen AccessFile51 Downloads (Pure)
Applying the realist evaluation approach to the complex process of policy implementation: the case of the user fee exemption policy for cesarean section in BeninDossou, J-P., Van Belle, S. & Marchal, B., 2021, In : Frontiers in Public Health. 9, 15 p., 553980.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleOpen AccessFile
Approche eLearning pour le renforcement des capacités des professionnels de santé en Guinée: une expérience post-EbolaMillimouno, T. M., Delamou, A., Kourouma, K., Kolié, J. M., Manet, H., Thoupia Baldé, A., Habib Béavogui, A., Roegiers, S., Garcia, M., Kiyan Tsunami, C., Van Damme, W. & Delvaux, T., 2021, In : Santé Publique. 32, 5, p. 537-548 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-article