Projects per year
DENCO, project with several European, South-East Asian and Latin-American partners, financed by the European Union, November 2005-October 2009 (contract INCO-517708)
Part project I was involved in: Evaluation of the effectiveness, acceptance of distribution, long-term use and cost-effectiveness of curtains and water container covers treated with a long-lasting insecticide for the control of dengue. Cluster randomized trials took place in Thailand and Venezuela.
DGD-ITM Framework agreement, part institutional collaboration with Institute of Tropical Medicine, Pedro Kouri, Havana, Cuba, part dengue (2003-today)
Research projects where I was/I am involved in:
Evaluation of the effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and sustainability of a participatory approach of environmental management to prevent and control dengue. Quasi-experimental studies and a cluster randomized controlled trial were set up in various locations in Cuba and followed up over two to five years. (Completed)
Evaluation of the effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and acceptance of curtains treated with a long-lasting insecticide or indoor residual insecticide spraying in comparison with routine interventions to control dengue. Cluster randomized controlled trial was set up in Guantanamo (curtains only) and a three-arm trial in Santiago, follow up over 2 years period. (completed)
Identification of dengue transmission hot-spots and evaluation of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of an implementation strategy that targets dengue transmission hot-spots, study identified and set up by the network 'DENTARGET' with researchers from Mexico, Brazil, Colombia and Cuba (ongoing).
DGD-ITM Framework agreement, part institutional collaboration with Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale (INRB), Democratic Republic of Congo:
Epidemiological study: The public health importance of dengue and chikungunya transmission in Kinshasa, 2014-2016
- Entomological study: Surveillance of Aedes mosquitoes in 4 urban communes of Kinshasa (DRC), 2018
DGD-ITM Framework agreement, part institutional collaboration with B.P. Koirala Institute for Health Sciences (BPKIHS), Dharan, Nepal: Evaluation sentinel surveillance system for dengue in Eastern-Nepal, 2014-2016
Co-organisation of international research network on innovative strategies for dengue prevention and control (DENTARGET), since 2013 until today: The network was set up with the objective to design and evaluate new effective and cost-effective dengue control strategies. This multidisciplinary research network brings together policy makers and academics with extensive experience in dengue from several Latin American countries (FIOCRUZ and national control programme Brazil; CIDEIM and University CES Colombia; Institute of tropical medicine (IPK) Cuba; University Merida (UADY) Mexico) and ITM, Blegium.
KALANET, project with several European partners and with India & Nepal, financed by the European Union, September 2005-August 2009 (contract INCO-CT 2005-015374)
Part project I was involved in: Evaluation of the effectiveness and acceptance of bed nets treated with long-lasting insecticide to control Leishmania infection. The cluster randomized controlled trial took place in Nepalese and Indian districts endemic for leishmaniasis.
1. Intitute of Tropical Medicine (ITM), ANTWERP, BELGIUM: Master of Public Health (MPH), orientations ‘Disease Control’ and ‘Health systems management and policy’ (English and French as teaching languages)
Student guidance for master thesis: since academic year 2003-04 until today (1 à 2 students/year)
Theory and exercises basic epidemiology and statistics: since academic year 2004-05 until today (40 hrs/ year)
Epi-Info and data analysis: student guidance; since academic year 2012-13 until today (20 hrs/year)
Theory and exercises Quantitative researchmethods; since academic year 2006-07 until today (20 hrs/year)
Leishmania control: academic year 2004-05 until 2007-08 (5 hrs/year)
Community participation in dengue control: since academic year 2005-06 until 2014-15 (3 hrs/year)
Student guidance health problem analysis (vertical analysis) related to dengue: since academic year 2007-08 until today (6 hrs/year)
- Fileholder CC4 'Formulation of Health programme' (3 weeks/year), 2018-
- Member MPH steering committee: 2010 until today
2. ITM, ANTWERP, BELGIUM: Postgraduate course ‘Tropical Medicine and International Health’ (English and French as teaching languages)
- Student guidance health problem analysis (vertical analysis) related to dengue: since academic year 2005-06 until today (6 hrs/year)
Emergency-module: in academic year 2004-05 (10 hrs)
- Community participation in vector-borne diseases: since academic year 2006-07 until today (4 hrs/year)
- Dengue: Epidemiology and control programmes: since academic year 2016-17 until today (4 hrs/year)
3. FACULTY OF BIOSCIENCE ENGINEERING, UNIVERSITY OF GHENT, BELGIUM : Master of Science nutrition and rural development
- PUBLIC HEALTH and HEALTHSYSTEMS (part of module ‘nutrition interventions’): since academic year 2006-07 until today (24 hrs/ year)
4. EUROPEAN COURSE IN TROPICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY
LIVERPOOL, UK: Risk and epidemiological measurements: 2006 (4 hrs)
- ANTWERP : Groupwork guidance ‘design of an epidemiological study’: 2010 (6 hrs)
5. DENGUE INTERNATIONAL COURSE, LA HABANA, CUBA
- CHALLENGES IN THE IMPLEMENTATION AND SCALING UP OF COMMUNITY BASED AEDES CONTROL STRATEGIES (theoretical and practical sessions): august 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017 (about 10 hrs/course)
6. DENGUE FEVER TRAINING, United Nations Support Office for African Union Mission Somalia, Nairobi, KENYA
General Dengue epidemiology, burden of disease, transmission, its vector and prevention methods; surveillance and outbreak preparedness; 6-9 May 2014; 19-22 January 2016
- Member of the General Council ITM as representative of 'Assisting scientific and medical personel' (AAP-WP-MP) 2018-today
- Member of the Academic Council ITM, 2018-today
Member of Academic commission on Research, ITM, 2012-16
- Member of Academic commission on development cooperation, ITM, 2017-today
Member of Departmental Council (Public Health department) as representative for post-doc assistants, since October 2013 until today
Doctors without Borders (MSF): Member Board of directors, 2004-2007
- Advice to the Belgian Federal Agency for Medicines and Health Products (FAMHP) on dengue vaccine files, 2013-2014; 2015; 2016
- Mission European Medical Corpse, May 2016, Yellow Fever Outbreak Angola
- Member of steering committee ITM Outbreak research Team, 2018-today
Doctor of Medical Science, Doctor, Ghent University
… → 2011
Master of Science in Disease Control, Master of Science, Institute of Tropical Medicine
2000 → 2001
Tropical Medicine, Course Diplome, Institute of Tropical Medicine
1993 → 1994
Medicine, MD, Ghent University
1986 → 1993
Tchad, Country/Medical coordinator, MSF BelgiumFeb-2002 → Mar-2003
Nicaragua, project coordinator, MSF BelgiumNov-1998 → Apr-2000
Angola, clinicial/hospital management, MSF The NetherlandsJun-1996 → Aug-1997
Mozambique, clinician/preventive medicine, MSF BelgiumSep-1994 → Dec-1995
- 12 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 3 Finished
CUBA - 2018 - FA4: To strengthen Institute of Tropical Medicine Pedro Kouri (IPK, Cuba) and National Institute of Hygiene, Epidemiology and Microbiology (INHEM, Cuba) towards accomplishment of their academic mission through capacity building and scientific co-operation.
1/01/18 → 31/12/18
Project: Development project
ArboviroseTrans : Role of human movement in relation to popular spots in the spatiotemporal dimension of vectorial arbovirus transmission?
1/01/18 → 31/12/20
Project: Research Project
Vanlerberghe, V., Lefèvre, P. & Ridde, V., 2021, In : American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 104, 4, p. 1202-1210 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleFile5 Downloads (Pure)
Hoxha, A., Madinga, J., Mariën, J., Peeters, M., Leendertz, F. H., Ahuka Mundeke, S., Ariën, K. K., Muyembe Tanfumu, J-J., Mbala Kingebeni, P. & Vanlerberghe, V., 2021, In : The Lancet. Global health. 9, 5, p. e588-e589 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › LetterOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Correction: Epidemiology and clinical features of patients with visceral leishmaniasis treated by an MSF clinic in Bakool region, Somalia, 2004-2006Raguenaud, M-E., Jansson, A., Vanlerberghe, V., Van der Auwera, G., Deborggraeve, S., Dujardin, J-C., Orfanos, I., Reid, T. & Boelaert, M., 2021, In : PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 15, 4, 1 p., e0009356.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleOpen AccessFile
Evaluation of a surrogate virus neutralization test for high-throughput serosurveillance of SARS-CoV-2Mariën, J., Michiels, J., Heyndrickx, L., Nkuba-Ndaye, A., Ceulemans, A., Bartholomeeusen, K., Madinga, J., Mbala-Kingebeni, P., Vanlerberghe, V., Ahuka-Mundeke, S., Wang, L-F. & Ariën, K. K., 2-Jul-2021, In : Journal of Virological Methods. p. 114228
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Van Bortel, W. & Vanlerberghe, V., 2021, In : Parasites and Vectors. 14, 1, p. 1-13 13 p., 92.
Research output: Contribution to journal › A1: Web of Science-articleOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)